Pages

Our Motto:

The Connecticut Catholic Corner Motto: Romans 14:16 "Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."

All articles owned by Connecticut Catholic Corner

© 2007-2023 All articles owned by Connecticut Catholic Corner *except EWTN press releases(see sidebar)*

***FYI: Comments***

Due to continued problems with Disqus I have removed them from this blog- in doing so comments from 2018-2020 have disappeared from my blog posts.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Celibacy and Clergy Abuse





Kathy writes: So why are your priests called to celibacy? And does the call to celibacy cause them to become weak and fall? We all have read the reports about male Priests that attack and molest male children, homosexual orientation or perversion? Both maybe.

My response: Clergy abuse, as all abuse is a despicable thing and should not be tolerated in any situation-ever. I can't begin to know the answer to why some people abuse other people and sometimes target the most innocent among us- children. What I do know, is that celibacy does not create molesters and sexual abuse happens in and out of all churches, schools, temples, synagogues, homes and businesses such as daycare centers. Its not just a Catholic problem, it's a world problem. Everything must be done to protect against these heinous crimes, and I believe the Catholic Church as many others, have worked hard in recent years towards keeping everyone safe and protected. There should be zero tolerance for abuse everywhere.
Now about celibacy, Jesus Christ himself led a celibate life and he tells us that some will be celibate for the priesthood. Matt.19:12 "For some are eunuchs because they are born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."
Even Paul says it's good to be celibate. 1 Corinthians 7:8 "Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am."
So clearly if celibacy were the cause of abuse, Jesus nor Paul would have said these things.

For more information on the Catholic Clergy abuse please visit:
http://www.usccb.org/nrb/johnjaystudy/

1 comment:

  1. It always bothers me when I hear someone claim that celibacy causes sexual abuse. What I would love to tell them, but I cannot because it is too painful, is that I live in a marriage that is pretty close to celibacy. My wife was sexually abused as a child, so she is emotionally and sexually distant. We rarely have sex, which I could live with easier if she was more available emotionally. She built up a wall around her that she will allow noone to penetrate. However, I have never been in the least bit, been tempted to attempt anything with a child of either sex. That is not something that is in the realm of possibilities.

    ReplyDelete

This is a Catholic blog, please keep your comments respectful to my Faith even when you disagree.

Profanity will not be tolerated - it will be DELETED, so do not waste your time or mine.

Thank you and God bless...

Julie @ Connecticut Catholic Corner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...