EWTN To Air Beatification of Bishop Álvaro Del Portillo,
Successor to Opus Dei Founder St. Josemaria Escrivá
The two-hour event will be preceded by an EWTN exclusive with the current prelate of Opus Dei, Bishop Javier Echevarria, who succeeded Del Portillo. Before being ordained to the priesthood, Bishop Echevarria served as personal secretary to St. Josemaria Escrivá, and he held important posts in Opus Dei during the tenure of the soon to be Blessed Álavaro Del Portillo.
“Very few people would have known his two predecessors better than he did,” says Host Alan Holdren, who reports from Rome for “EWTN News Nightly.” “We’ll be asking Bishop Echevarria about his memories, anecdotes, and personal stories. What is Del Portillo’s legacy for Opus Dei today? How was he distinct from the founder of Opus Dei? How were they similar or complimentary? How does their vision for Opus Dei and living sanctity in everyday life live in the work of ‘La Obra’ (Spanish for ‘the work’)?”
The beatification will be carried in English, Spanish and German via EWTN’s 11 worldwide television networks as well as EWTN Global Catholic Radio Network (English) and EWTN Radio Católica Mundial (Spanish)! (Find EWTN at http://www.ewtn.com/everywhere.) In addition to all of this, EWTN viewers will also enjoy air a half-hour documentary entitled “Saxum: Rediscovering Bishop Álavaro Del Portillo.”
You won’t want to miss this line-up, which you will only see on EWTN!
- “The Church Universal,” EWTN’s new series, features Opus Dei Historian John Coverdale, who will speak about the organization’s place in the Church. Airs 5 a.m. ET, Tuesday, Sept. 23 and 10 p.m. ET, Friday, Sept. 26.
- “A Gift of God:” Learn about Opus Dei, an international organization founded by St. Josemaria Escrivá in 1928, where ordinary lay people sanctify their work and daily life. Airs 1 p.m. ET, Friday, Sept. 26.
- “Saxum: Rediscovering Bishop Álvaro Del Portillo:” Airs 10:30 p.m. ET, Friday, Sept. 26; and Noon ET, Saturday, Sept. 27.
- Exclusive Interview with the Prelate: 5:30 a.m. ET and 12:30 p.m. ET, Saturday, Sept. 27.
- Beatification Mass of Bishop Álvaro Del Portillo: 6 a.m. ET and 1 p.m. ET, Saturday, Sept. 27.
EWTN Global Catholic Network, in its 33rd year, is available in over 230 million television households in more than 140 countries and territories. With its direct broadcast satellite television and radio services, AM & FM radio networks, worldwide short-wave radio station, Internet website www.ewtn.com, electronic and print news services, and publishing arm, EWTN is the largest religious media network in the world.