Pages

Our Motto:

The Connecticut Catholic Corner Motto: Romans 14:16 "Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."

All articles owned by Connecticut Catholic Corner

© 2007-2023 All articles owned by Connecticut Catholic Corner *except EWTN press releases(see sidebar)*

***FYI: Comments***

Due to continued problems with Disqus I have removed them from this blog- in doing so comments from 2018-2020 have disappeared from my blog posts.

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Drats! Sign of Peace stays in Mass

By Connecticut Catholic Corner




I don't like the "Sign of Peace" at Mass.  

I just don't.  

First, it seems like an interruption of the Mass to me. Secondly, it appears to me to be completely out of hand and not at all what it was/is supposed to be.  And third...well I am not a touchy-feely type person who wants to be subjected to shaking strangers hands and/or getting hugs or kisses by strangers.

I don't like it.

I thought at first it might just be me and the particular parishes I have attended (remember I live in liberal Connecticut).  But after reading Pat Archbold's piece at the National Catholic Register, I see he too has experienced what I have at some Masses.


"I will admit that most times, the ridiculousness that ensues during the sign of peace has me cringing. Worse, I have had perfect strangers hug me. Last year I went to mass while travelling on business and this lady, before my Kung Fu training could kick in, hugged me.  Sensing my profound discomfort, she said, "That is how we do it here!"  This left me channeling Chuck Heston for my inner dialogue at the unruly and distracting anthropocentric mauling, "Take your stinking paws off me you darn dirty ape! That is Jesus up there!"  But hey, that's just me."-end quote-

I feel your pain! 


I've seen the Sign of Peace wave, kiss and bear hugs.  

My strategic defense has for years been placing one of my kids on each side of me.  I've notice strangers are less likely to grab a kid or teenager to hug or kiss.  

What I would have liked to have happened:

1) do away with the Sign of Peace completely 
- OR
2) have the priest say it to the laity and the laity say it back to the priest only- no getting physical with each other 
-OR
3) let us give a simple nod to each other- no physical contact necessary


But the Church has decided the "Sign of Peace" will not only remain as part of the Mass but also remain exactly where it is in the Mass.  Right smack dab in the middle.  So as distasteful as it is to me personally, I have to accept the Church's decision and live with it because that is what Church Authority is all about.  

On a side note, besides disliking the hippie love fest which often ensues during the Sign of Peace I DO NOT WANT to shake hands with people coughing, sneezing, blowing their noses, kids picking their noses and/or doing other disgusting things.  I don't like it. I'm really not a germaphobe I simply don't like it- particularly at Mass.

Call me finicky I don't care.  It's another reason (in my opinion) to receive the Eucharist on the tongue and NOT in the hands.

Those germ ridden typhoid Mary hands then go up and take the Eucharist in their hands for Holy Communion without a thought.  That just screams "THIS IS WRONG" to me.  But that is a subject for another day.


In Christ,

Julie @ Connecticut Catholic Corner



Source: http://www.ncregister.com/blog/pat-archbold/ditch-the-sign-of-peace-or-take-your-stinking-paws-off-me-you-darn-dirty-ap


1 comment:

  1. Like you, I couldn't stand it either. Moreover I'd had it with the watered-down liturgy, the dearth of respect, let alone awe and humility, for the Eucharist both at the consecration and during the distribution of the Sacrament. And then there was the music--some cantor blasting ear-splitting noise during Communion that sounded like Saturday night at Mc Gillans Old Ale House.
    So I found an FSSP parish 6 years ago and my interior life is now alive and growing and I love the Mass. If you're like me, step on your Bishop;s throat if need be (respectfully, of course, but uncompromisingly) and insist on getting the Traditional Mass of the Ages within your diocese. Your spiritual life will be changed much for the better. It may well save your soul.

    ReplyDelete

This is a Catholic blog, please keep your comments respectful to my Faith even when you disagree.

Profanity will not be tolerated - it will be DELETED, so do not waste your time or mine.

Thank you and God bless...

Julie @ Connecticut Catholic Corner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...