Pages

Our Motto:

The Connecticut Catholic Corner Motto: Romans 14:16 "Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil."

All articles owned by Connecticut Catholic Corner

© 2007-2023 All articles owned by Connecticut Catholic Corner *except EWTN press releases(see sidebar)*

***FYI: Comments***

Due to continued problems with Disqus I have removed them from this blog- in doing so comments from 2018-2020 have disappeared from my blog posts.

Sunday, June 23, 2019

Scapular of the Sacred Heart




Of the more recent scapulars, one of the most cherished is the Scapular of the Sacred Heart, to which the pilgrimages have given a great impulse. It may be said to have originated with the Holy Father, Pope Pious IX, himself. A Roman lady of great piety having made a scapular of this kind, presented it herself to the Sovereign Pontiff. 

Taking it in his hand, he reflected for a moment, and then said: “Madame, this is a thought from heaven;” and, after a little further reflection, he added: “With all my heart I bless this little Heart, and I will that all those which may be made after this model, shall receive my blessing, without it being necessary for any other priest to give it. Moreover, I will that in no ways shall the devil have power to hurt those who shall wear this little Heart.” 

He then directed the following prayer to be written, and to be used especially in time of calamity: 
“Open to me Thy Sacred Heart, O Jesus! Show me its charms, and unite me with it forever; may every breath and every pulsation of my heart, which cease not during my sleep, be to Thee a testimony of my love, and say to Thee unceasingly; ‘Yes, Lord, I love Thee.’ Accept the little good I do; grant me grace to repair my evil ways, that I may praise in time, and bless Thee for all eternity.” 

Source: The Catholic Instructor with Encyclopedic Dictionary [pages 517-518], copyright Office of Catholic Publications, New York, May 16, 1910 

image: https://www.leafletonline.com/sacred-heart-badge-scapular




No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a Catholic blog, please keep your comments respectful to my Faith even when you disagree.

Profanity will not be tolerated - it will be DELETED, so do not waste your time or mine.

Thank you and God bless...

Julie @ Connecticut Catholic Corner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...